The Junction Triangle
The Junction Triangle neighbourhood is so named because it is bounded on three sides by railway lines that enclose the entire neighbourhood in the shape of a triangle.
The residential housing is located in the centre of the neighbourhood, while industry is located on the periphery of the Junction Triangle next to the railway tracks. The Junction Triangle factories have been a traditional source of employment for many neighbourhood residents.
The Junction Triangle name was coined in the 1970's by Toronto city planners who were making reference to the fact that this neighbourhood is enclosed by a railroad junction which forms the shape of a triangle.
The history of the Junction Triangle community dates back to the 1880's when the Grand Trunk, Toronto Grey and Bruce and Northern railway lines began service to this area. The railways attracted industry to the Junction Triangle which in turn attracted the labourers who were the first residents of this neighbourhood.
In spite of the fact that many Junction Triangle residents earned their living at the local factories the marriage between industry and homeowners in this tightly confined neighbourhood has not always been harmonious. The issue of pollutants and noise levels has been at the forefront of these disputes. However new legislation on emissions together with a decline in the number of factories operating within the Junction Triangle has helped to improve relations between these neighbours.
**The Toronto neighbourhood text profiles, sketches and maps displayed on this web site were originally published in “Your Guide to Toronto Neighbourhoods”, are © Maple Tree Publishing Inc. and have been reproduced by Toronto Real Estate Board under license.