Danforth Village is well known for its shopping district along Danforth Avenue. The Danforth's many shops and restaurants reflect the multicultural flavour of the residents who live in this neighbourhood.
The relative affordability of the houses in Danforth Village, together with the convenience of the Bloor-Danforth subway line make this neighbourhood an excellent choice for first time home buyers.
Danforth Village, north of the Danforth, was land originally held by the Church of England. Local street names like Glebemount, and Glebeholme, are reminders that this was once Church land.
The land south of the Danforth was not held by the Church. This land was originally owned by families engaged in either farming or in the brick making business.
Danforth Avenue, this neighbourhood's main thoroughfare, is named after Asa Danforth, an American contractor who built Kingston road in 1799 but ironically he had nothing to do with the building of Danforth Avenue.
After being annexed to the City of Toronto in 1908 Danforth Village began to be subdivided. The two most significant events in the growth of this neighbourhood were the completion of the Prince Edward Viaduct in 1918, and the opening of the Bloor - Danforth subway in 1966.
**The Toronto neighbourhood text profiles, sketches and maps displayed on this web site were originally published in “Your Guide to Toronto Neighbourhoods”, are © Maple Tree Publishing Inc. and have been reproduced by Toronto Real Estate Board under license.